How does the Rafter-Finder™ work?
The patented wire rafter/stud finder pinpoints rafter location– providing positive mechanical feedback to locate edge of rafter with an accuracy of +/– 1/16 inch.
The installer taps on the roof with a rubber mallet to establish the best estimate for the center location of the rafter. A 5/32” dia. hole is then drilled roughly 2” left of the estimate. The indicator flag of the Rafter-Finder is raised and the curved wire sensor is inserted into the small hole. The tip of the wire sensor below the roof is directly below the tip of the indicator flag above. The knob at the top of the Rafter-Finder is rotated until the wire stops at the rafter edge below. The center of the rafter is then marked with 3/4“ tape. Once the Rafter-Finder is removed, the small hole is easily sealed.
Benefits and Advantages:
• Fewer penetrations for precise location of rafters or studs
• Ideal for composition roofing
• Made with corrosion-proof materials
• Simple instructions: “Thump once, drill once, insert Rafter-Finder, measure rafter location and proceed with confidence!”
Pinpoint Rafter Location– The Concise Designs patented wire rafter/stud finder provides positive mechanical feedback to locate edge of rafter with an accuracy of +/– 1/16 inch.
- Fewer penetrations to locate rafter for solar installations
- Ideal for composition roofing
- Made with corrosion-proof materials
- Simple instructions: “Thump once, drill once, insert Rafter Finder, measure layout and proceed with confidence!” Follow steps below.
|Step 1.||Place appropriate snap lines on roof to locate horizontal rails.|
|Step 2.||Thump roof for best estimate of center location of rafter.|
|Step 3.||Drill 5/32” dia. hole roughly 2” left of estimate.|
|Step 4.||Raise indicator and insert wire sensor into hole.|
|Step 5.||Feed wire sensor through hole and lower indicator.|
|Step 6.||Tip of wire sensor below roof is directly below tip of indicator above.|
|Step 7.||Rotate knob until wire stops at edge of rafter below.|
|Step 8.||Mark center of rafter with soapstone or 3/4“ tape from tip of indicator and mark snap line.|
Indicator points to exact rafter location.
More products by Concise Designs:
Photovoltaic Underside Mounting System, UL listed 4TR1 and Lay-in Ground Lug, UL467 listed 4TU4